PORTLAND, Ore. ( TheStreet) -- If you resisted the urge to skip out on Thanksgiving dessert or Thursday night's last NFL game to head to Target (TGT), Wal-Mart (WMT) or Toys "R" Us and still haven't hit so much as a Web site today, congratulations: You're one of more than half the U.S. population with better things to do today.
Roughly 147 million shoppers say they plan to go pushing and shoving for deals this Black Friday weekend, according to the National Retail Federation. In a promising statement about the future of humanity, that number is down from 152 million last year. Of that 147 million, only 71 million are committed to heading out among the unslept, unwashed masses and doing their holiday shopping under any circumstance.
The other 76 million are going to hang back and wait to see exactly what stores are offering before putting themselves in harm's way. While retailers took that as their cue to bombard consumers with circulars, TV ads, Facebook (FB) posts, tweets, company blog entries, emails and alerts through mobile apps, shoppers took at as their opportunity to decide whether they needed the stress.
If you're still undecided about your Black Friday plans, let us make a humble suggestion: Forget the sales. Let the lemmings claw at each other over out-of-date televisions and "deals" they could get just as easily on Cyber Monday, Green Monday, Free Shipping Day or whatever other fabricated retail holiday comes next. There are real deals out there that won't subject you to crowded store aisles, parking lot traffic or forced flash sales and specials. They're not even particularly good items for holiday wish lists, unless you're really into buying holiday gifts for yourself.We looked past the organized riots at America's outlets, malls and big box stores and found five better things to spend your time and money on this Black Friday:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV