2 Dead In Violence At South Africa Gold Mine
JOHANNESBURG (AP) â¿¿ A South African gold mining company says two of its workers have been killed and another injured in violence at one of its mines as unrest continues in the industry.
Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd. said Friday that the attack happened late Thursday at its Kusasalethu mine near Carletonville, about 80 kilometers (50 miles) southwest of Johannesburg. Harmony said production at the mine had not been affected by the attack. The company said police had begun an investigation.
The killings come after weeks of labor unrest at mines across South Africa, one of the nation's biggest economic engines. Violence during strikes at Lonmin PLC's platinum mine near Marikana led to the deaths of 46 people, including 34 miners who were shot dead by police.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV