Want to get away from all that? After eBay bought Shopping.com parent GSI Commerce last year, as TechCrunch reported, founder Michael Rubin launched a new outfit, Kynetic.com, pushing a set of infrastructure-based business models like Shoprunner, which is aggregating retailers against Amazon Prime through a membership plan.
Kynetic also runs RueLaLa, a members-only fashion site, and Fanatics, a fulfillment site for licensed sports merchandise. As I was trying to say a week ago, infrastructure is the new black.
Finally, if you think of Cyber Monday as just another way to avoid taxes -- sales tax in this case -- that window is closing. The coalition fighting to impose online sales taxes, TheHill reports, includes the National Retail Federation, whose Shop.Org unit invented Cyber Monday.
Happy clicking.At the time of publication, the author had no holdings in the companies mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV