Connecticut Mayor Touts 'Small Business Saturday'
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) â¿¿ Bridgeport, Conn. Mayor Bill Finch is urging residents to support local, small businesses during the holiday shopping season.
Finch on Wednesday signed a proclamation designating Nov. 24 as "Small Business Saturday" in Bridgeport. The day coincides with one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year, coming right after Thanksgiving.
The small-business promotion is sandwiched between Black Friday â¿¿ the day after Thanksgiving when many large-store chains advertise deals to attract shoppers to their stores and Cyber Monday when Internet retailers have special offers to entice people to spend online.
The initiative was established in 2010 and is intended to encourage shoppers to patronize independent local businesses.Finch says small businesses are the backbone of the country and the glue that holds communities together. He says spending holiday shopping dollars on small businesses will boost the local economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV