BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- A skeleton crew is keeping watch over Wall Street today, while the rest of America herds into mile-long lines at the mall.
Black Friday's half-day of trading is typically a light volume day for Mr. Market, and that's likely to be the case this year too. But it's what happens after Black Friday that's worth keeping a close eye on -- historically, the final month and change of the year often comes with a year-end bounce higher for stocks.
In 2012, we're starting to see that shape up in the S&P 500: the big index slammed hard against support at 1350 late last week, rallying back above the 200-day moving average on Monday. That support level coincides with a 61.8 retracement of the June through September rally in stocks, an important level for traders who rely on Fibonacci levels.The fact that the S&P's pullback has been orderly for the last couple of months is significant. And now, we're seeing bottoming in a large number of individual names -- but we're not focusing solely on upside today. >>5 Dividend Stocks Itching to Pay You More Instead, we're leveraging new interest in the market by taking a technical look at five big names that are tradable this week. If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the charts of five high-volume stocks to trade for gains.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV