Samsung had asked the court to compel Apple - its major rival in the portable computing marketplace - to reveal details of its secret patent dispute agreement with another rival, HTC, earlier this month.
Samsung wants to know exactly what patents and licensing deals are involved in the Apple/HTC agreement because it might have a big effect on the future. It could help Samsung halt Apple's quest to have the courts order a permanent sales ban on Samsung products. The Korean company is "almost certain" that the HTC deal covers some of the same patents Apple is attempting to use against it.
The Federal Court ordered Apple to produce complete terms of the agreement "without delay" and ruled that exact details of the deal would not be made public.Apple won a $1.05 billion jury decision in its famous software and design patent suit against Samsung, back in August. That fight is currently in the appeals phase. And it doesn't end there. Samsung and Apple are also currently involved in similar patent disputes all around the world. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV