Samsung had asked the court to compel Apple - its major rival in the portable computing marketplace - to reveal details of its secret patent dispute agreement with another rival, HTC, earlier this month.
Samsung wants to know exactly what patents and licensing deals are involved in the Apple/HTC agreement because it might have a big effect on the future. It could help Samsung halt Apple's quest to have the courts order a permanent sales ban on Samsung products. The Korean company is "almost certain" that the HTC deal covers some of the same patents Apple is attempting to use against it.
The Federal Court ordered Apple to produce complete terms of the agreement "without delay" and ruled that exact details of the deal would not be made public.Apple won a $1.05 billion jury decision in its famous software and design patent suit against Samsung, back in August. That fight is currently in the appeals phase. And it doesn't end there. Samsung and Apple are also currently involved in similar patent disputes all around the world. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV