Canadians Living With Osteoporosis Have Access To A New Treatment Option
Since the Special Authorization criteria varies between provinces and plans, it is recommended to patients to discuss reimbursement eligibility with their treating physicians.
Osteoporosis could strike you or someone you love. It is a silent disease that affects nearly two million Canadians. The risk of a major osteoporotic fracture in Canada is among the highest in the world. Yet, despite the high prevalence of fractures, they are often not appropriately assessed or treated, leaving osteoporosis undiagnosed and undertreated. Broken bones are associated with devastating health consequences including pain, decreased quality of life, loss of independence, and even death. Preventing new fractures for those who have already had an osteoporotic fracture is Osteoporosis Canada's top priority. In 2010, Osteoporosis Canada issued new Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Osteoporosis in Canada i that help physicians and patients better identify the risk of fracture, resulting in better fracture prevention and better management of osteoporosis overall.
Additional osteoporosis statistics:
- Almost two million Canadians are living with osteoporosis.
- More than 90 per cent of hip fractures in Canada occur in those over age 60.
- In the first year after a vertebral or hip fracture, there is at least a doubling in the risk of death.
- There are about 30,000 hip fractures each year in Canada; many more Canadians suffer osteoporotic fractures affecting the spine, wrist, shoulder, and pelvis.
- A 50-year-old woman has a 40 per cent chance of developing a hip, vertebral or wrist fracture during her lifetime. ii
- More than one quarter of hip fractures in Canada occur in men.
- The one-in-six lifetime risk of hip fracture is greater than the one-in-nine lifetime risk of developing breast cancer. iii
- One in four women who have a new vertebral fracture will fracture again within one year. iv
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts