Now On J-Source: Firings At CTV BC; Sun Media Commentary; Public Letter To OpenFile
TORONTO, Nov. 22, 2012 /CNW/ - FEATURES
J-News CTV British Columbia fires general manager and news director Last week, CTV British Columbia fired vice-president and general manager Tom Haberstroh and news director Margo Harper. He had worked for the network for 31 years; she for 12. Rhiannon Russell reports. Link to article
J-News Job cuts at Sun Media gut local news, argues former editor Former Toronto Sun editorial page editor Rob Granatstein laments Sun Media's 500 job cuts, saying they have "crushed local newsrooms." The Sun, he argues, seems to be "ceding any advantage" it had as a local newspaper to its competitors. Link to article
The Business of Journalism OpenFile freelancers still not paid, but public letter prompts "open channel" of communication In a rare act of freelancer solidarity, six writers for OpenFile Montreal signed their names to a public letter, calling on the start-up to pay them. As Rhiannon Russell finds, that hasn't happened yet, but for now they're happy with regular updates from OpenFile CEO Wilf Dinnick. Link to articleField Notes Public spheres, public spaces and "shit storms" For journalists in particular, understanding the impact of what we say and do on the Internet is now an essential skill. But is it even possible to predict reaction to an offhand comment or in-depth story, or determine how much of an event is reflected in the social media swarm that takes over stories like the uprising in Egypt? That type of online discourse was the focus of the New Media and the Public Sphere conference in Copenhagen. Nicole Blanchett Neheli was there, and captures the dialogue in a Storify. Link to article Ideas How I got the photo: NNA winner Rich Lam on the Vancouver riots' kissing couple Once Rich Lam 's photo of a couple kissing during the Stanley Cup riots in Vancouver in 2011 went viral, its authenticity was questioned. Lam discusses the impact unethical photographers and editors can have on photojournalism as a whole. Link to article EVENTS CALENDAR
- Nov. 22: A Bitter Taste of Freedom: Film Screening and Director Q&A, ON
- Nov. 22: CJF J-Talk: Keeping You on the Tube: The Mission of Broadcast News, ON
- Nov. 24: New Canadian Media Professionals' Network Event, ON
- Nov. 27: Samara Seminar with Sasha Issenberg, ON
- Nov. 28: Beyond the Front Page: Reporting on Human Development in Afghanistan, Toronto, ON
- Nov 29: Beyond the Front Page: Reporting on Human Development in Afghanistan, Ottawa, ON
- Nov 29: Syria: Visions for Tomorrow, ON
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV