This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration. Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
November 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
A specialist industrial disease lawyer has said that the closure of a Welsh high school after ten times more than acceptable levels of asbestos were found comes as no surprise, adding that the hidden danger of asbestos in our schools has been known for years.
Bridget Collier, head of the Industrial Disease team at Fentons
Personal Injury Solicitors LLP and a specialist in
asbestos claims, said that the shock closure of the 900-strong Cwmcarn High School was potentially just the tip of the iceberg.
"The Cwmcarn case does not come as any great surprise, as we have known for years that asbestos was widely used in schools, typically for fireproofing and insulation," said Bridget. "But the dangerously high levels of asbestos found in that particular school have thrust it under the spotlight."
Reports over the last few weeks have detailed how workmen discovered airborne asbestos fibres that were ten times acceptable levels in the main block, leading to Cwmcarn High School being closed suddenly last month. Now a further specialist report has described the levels of asbestos in the school as posing 'potential serious risk to health', advising that it should be demolished.
"Since the closure we have received numerous calls from former pupils and staff at the school, as well as those from many others, who suspect they may have been exposed to asbestos," said Bridget. "It is believed that as many as 70% of schools built before 2000 will have asbestos in them, and that wherever maintenance, repair or new construction has taken place, there is potentially some risk that needs to be managed.
"In this case, the specialist asbestos management company's report suggests that ceiling tiles being disturbed by draughts, repairs to the electrical circuit and even pupils scraping chairs and tables in classrooms may have caused damage to asbestos boards," said Bridget. "It also said that asbestos in the roof void may have been blown around the building by the heating system."