10 Tips to Win Cyber Monday
5. Return policies
Even if you scored free shipping with your online purchase, double-check to see if the retailer covers the shipping cost should you need to return the item. Sometimes the retailer provides a shipping label, but they may still deduct the shipping cost from the amount of the refund.
Otherwise, it's best to shop at online retailers that also maintain bricks-and-mortar stores, since these locations will usually accept returnson items bought at the online store.
6. Rewards credit cardsUse a credit card with a robust rewards program for your online purchases to make the most out of points, cash-back programs and airline miles. "Credit card companies like Chase (JPM) offer extra incentives and bonus points to card members through their Ultimate Rewards. This way you rack up points to redeem toward future purchases or redeem for gift cards to give as gifts," Woroch adds. 7. Coupon codes The most important rule of saving money is coupon codes. Even if an item is already on sale or heavily promoted as a top Cyber Monday deal, you still need to spend a few seconds searching for a coupon code online -- and that's all the time it takes. Coupons.com has a separate Cyber Monday page that includes codes from Sears (SHLD), Office Depot (ODP), Macy's (M) and others. 8. E-gift cards Buying discounted e-gift cards is quick way to cut costs without the use of coupons. At sites such as GiftCardGranny.com you can buy a $33 e-gift card to PetCo for about $28 -- roughly a 16% savings. When checking out on an online retailer's website, simply enter in the e-gift card's code to redeem its value. 9. Retail email Subscribing to the email list of your favorite retailers may prompt you to spend more money, since the emails constantly remind you of sales and promotions, but during the holiday season it's wise to subscribe to the store's email list. Think about it: This is the time of year you're shopping for not just yourself, but for friends and family. So you might as well make the most of it by connecting with your retailer. The email lists will keep you up to date on Cyber Monday specials as well as promotions, coupons and store events for the rest of the holiday season. 10. Shipping dates Especially when it comes to gift giving, before you make an online purchase you should peruse the retailer's shipping options to gain a sense of when the item will arrive. If an item is out of stock, check to see when it's back in stock -- and more importantly, how fast the retailer can deliver it to your doorstep.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV