- Toronto author receives $30,000 for powerful children's novel about The Boer War in South Africa -
TORONTO, Nov. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - The results are finally in! The TD Canadian Children's Literature Award was presented to local Toronto author. Trilby Kent received this year's top prize of $30,000 for her novel Stones for My Father (published by Tundra Books ), which is the largest prize in Canadian children's literature. The eighth annual award ceremony took place in Toronto at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel and was hosted by TD Bank Group and the Canadian Children's Book Centre (CCBC).
"Trilby Kent's powerful and thought-provoking novel is truly an award-worthy piece of literature. By describing the complexities of historical conflict in South Africa through the eyes of a child, she produces an emotionally engaging and inspiring story readers can relate to," said Tim Hockey, President and CEO, TD Canada Trust. "For TD, the importance of the TD Canadian Children's Literature Awards is more than curating Canada's best written work for young audiences, it's about promoting the advancement of children's literature, and encouraging children to continue reading, learning and exploring the wealth of what books have to offer."
Kent's book, Stones for my Father, was selected from five finalists who represent some of Canada's leading children's literature authors. Stones for My Father is Kent's second novel for young readers. Addressing heavy historical subject matter throughout her award-winning book, Kent explores themes of racism, loss and human resilience during times of war through a well-crafted story for youth."The Anglo-Boer War in South Africa is certainly not a subject covered today in most Canadian classrooms," said Trilby Kent. "But this devastating time in South Africa is historically quite significant and I wanted to write a story for young readers that would investigate the heavy subject matter through a lens my readers could identify with." Stones for my Father was selected from among the following finalists:
- The Dragon Turn , written by Shane Peacock (published by Tundra Books).
- No Ordinary Day , written by Deborah Ellis (published by Groundwood Books).
- Off to Class: Incredible and Unusual Schools Around the World , written by Susan Hughes (published by Owlkids Books Inc).
- Seal Song , written by Andrea Spalding and illustrated by Pascal Milelli (published by Orca Book Publishers).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV