Reckitt first made the $42-per-share offer earlier this month only weeks after Bayer offered $34 dollars per share for the Salt Lake City-based company. The German drugmaker later said it did not want to engage in a bidding war for the company.
By The Associated Press(equals)
The Dow Jones industrial average climbed 48.38 points to 12,836.89. The Standard & Poor's 500 index gained 3.22 points to 1,391.03. The Nasdaq composite index rose 9.87 points to 2,926.55.Benchmark oil rose 63 cents to finish at $87.38 a barrel. Brent crude, used to price international varieties of oil, rose $1.03 to end at $110.86 a barrel in London. Heating oil gained 3 cents to finish at $3.07 a gallon. Wholesale gasoline rose 4 cents to end at $2.75 a gallon. Natural gas gained 7 cents to finish at $3.90 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV