3. Signature Bank
Shares of Signature Bank (SBNY) of New York closed at $70.34 Wednesday, returning 17% year-to-date, following a 20% return during 2011. The five-year total return for the stock was 104%.
The shares trade for 2.1 times their reported Sept. 30 book value of $33.80, and for 16 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $4.29. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $4.69.
Signature Bank had total assets of $16.5 billion as of Sept. 30. The bank reported third-quarter earnings of $47.7 million, or a dollar a share, increasing from $45.3 million, or 96 cents a share, in the second quarter, and $38.4 million, or 83 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2011. Total loans grew by 9% just in the third quarter, to $8.8 billion as of Sept. 30, growing by 28% from a year earlier.
Net interest income was up 6% sequentially and 20% year-over-year, to $141.7 million in the third quarter, and the company even bucked the industry trend, with its third-quarter net interest margin -- the difference between the average yield on loans and investments and the average cost for deposits and borrowings -- widening to 3.56%, from 3.54% the previous quarter, and 3.51% a year earlier, however, the bank said that if loan prepayment income was excluded, the margin "decreased 3 Basis Points to 3.41 Percent, compared with 3.44 Percent for the 2012 second quarter."Following the bank's earnings announcement, KBW analyst Christopher McGratty wrote that "in the world of modest economic growth, Signature continues to defy the banking odds, producing 36%
Interested in more on Signature Bank? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV