FORT WASHINGTON, Pa., Nov. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- There are a wide range of estimates pinpointing the amount of weight Americans gain over the holidays, but one thing is for sure – you know it when you feel it. On the heels of the average American consuming more than 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day, it's no wonder that for many "Black Friday" can feel like "Fat Friday." Whether it's .2 pounds or two full pounds, gaining weight at the start of the holiday season can set the stage for a fattening few weeks and ultimately lead to permanent weight gain, but the good news is "Black Friday" doesn't have to be "Fat Friday."
Nutrisystem, the nation's leading provider of home delivery weight loss programs, explained why this is a key dieting juncture and issued a series of related tips to help people get back on track. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) also has advice.
According to the Calorie Control Council, the average person will consume more than 2 ¼ times the amount of calories they normally would during Thanksgiving Day's national food fest. It is not unusual for a holiday dinner alone to tally up to 3,000 calories with the fat equivalent of three sticks of butter.Registered Dietitian and one of the research heads at Nutrisystem, Meghan Nichols, describes the day after Thanksgiving as a "critical turning point for dieters." Nichols oversees some of the company's counseling support available online and by phone. "This is the time a lot of people either 'go off the wagon' or make a quick correction and get back on track. It's a really challenging time for anyone trying to lose weight." Nichols offers the following tips for achieving dieting success even if you've already stuffed the turkey and yourself.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV