News Summary: Sandy Boosts US Jobless Data
The Associated Press
SANDY SPARKS LAYOFFS: U.S. unemployment benefit applications were elevated for a second straight week because Superstorm Sandy forced many people to seek temporary aid. First-time applications fell 41,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 410,000, the Labor Department said.
MORE DISTORTIONS LIKELY: Two weeks ago, the storm drove applications up by 90,000 to 451,000, an 18-month high. Workers can claim benefits if their employers close and they aren't paid. Sandy could inflate applications for another week.
JOB GAINS TO SLOW: The storm may slow job growth this month. That's because monthly job gains are calculated by subtracting layoffs and quits from overall hiring.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV