ATLANTA, Nov. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The latest data from Equifax's National Consumer Credit Trends Report shows that the total number of auto loan originations from January- August 2012 totaled 14.6 million -- the highest number of originations for that timeframe since 2007 (14.8 million).
Total outstanding auto loan balances through October 2012 are more than $770 billion, an increase of 11% since auto loan balances bottomed out in April 2011. Similarly, the total number of existing auto loans through October 2012 was more than 58 million, which represents a 33-month high.
"Consistent growth in the auto industry is influenced by a combination of factors, including the decreasing amount of write-offs and severely derogative accounts paired with corresponding increases in the numbers of total originations and loan sizes," said Equifax Chief Economist Amy Crews-Cutts. "Sustained recent consumer demand for auto leasing, financing and purchase has driven a return of this portfolio to pre-recession numbers more rapidly than any other lending sector."Other highlights from the most recent data include:
- New auto loan originations year-to-date through August 2012 totaled more than $283 billion, which is the highest for that timeframe since 2006 ( $297.5 billion).
- The average loan amount ($19,492) for the month of August 2012 stands at a six-year high, and is only exceeded by same-time 2006 ($20,291).
- The most current data shows the number of new auto loans funded by auto finance companies increased 31% from the recession low for the month of August 2009 from 717,600 to more than one million in August 2012, a five-year high.
- The most current data also shows the number of new auto loans funded by bank, savings and loan or credit union reached 984,300 in August 2012, a seven-year high for that month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV