How States Fared On Jobless Aid Applications
The Associated Press
The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment aid remained elevated for a second straight week because Superstorm Sandy forced many people to seek temporary benefits. The Labor Department said Wednesday that first-time applications for benefits fell by 41,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 410,000. That offset only part of the previous week's surge. Two weeks ago, the storm drove applications up by 90,000 to 451,000, an 18-month high.
Here are the states with the biggest increases and decreases in applications:
States with the biggest increases:New York: Up 43,956, because Superstorm Sandy caused temporary layoffs in construction, restaurants and transportation New Jersey: Up 31,094, because Sandy caused temporary layoffs in hotels, restaurants, manufacturing, transportation, health care and construction California: Up 24,693, because of layoffs in the services industry Pennsylvania: Up 7,037, because Sandy caused temporary layoffs in construction and transportation Connecticut: Up 1,808, because of temporary layoffs from Sandy Wisconsin: Up 1,674, no reason given States with the biggest decreases: Ohio: Down 4,996, due to fewer layoffs in manufacturing
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV