The American College Of Obstetricians And Gynecologists Committee On Genetics And The Society For Maternal-Fetal Medicine Publications Committee Recommend Noninvasive Prenatal Testing For Fetal Aneuploidy
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sequenom, Inc. (NASDAQ: SQNM), a life sciences company providing innovative diagnostic testing and genetic analysis solutions, today announced that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Genetics and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) Publications Committee issued a joint Committee Opinion on November 20, 2012, recommending that cell-free fetal DNA testing be offered to patients at increased risk of aneuploidy. It can also be used as a follow-up test for women with a positive first-trimester or second-trimester screening test result.
Previously, the ACOG recommended that women, regardless of maternal age, be offered prenatal assessment for aneuploidy by screening or invasive prenatal diagnosis. The ACOG Committee on Genetics and the SMFM Publications Committee now recommend that women at increased risk of aneuploidy be offered cell-free fetal DNA as an option that can be used as a primary screening test based on the following indications:
- Maternal age 35 years or older at delivery.
- Fetal sonographic findings indicating an increased risk of aneuploidy.
- History of a prior pregnancy with a trisomy.
- Positive test result for aneuploidy, including first trimester, sequential, or integrated screen, or a quadruple screen.
- Parental balanced robertsonian translocation with increased risk for fetal trisomy 13 or 21.
The Committee Opinion also recommended that "cell-free fetal DNA testing should not be offered to low-risk women or women with multiple gestations because it has not been sufficiently evaluated in these groups." Further, the Committee Opinion stated that "pre-test counseling should be an informed patient choice after pre-test counseling and should not be part of routine prenatal laboratory assessment. A patient with a positive test result should be referred for genetic counseling and offered invasive prenatal diagnosis for confirmation of test results."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV