By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Bullish traders are piling into Forest Oil (FST) as the stock tries to bounce at its July lows.
OptionMonster's trade scanners Tuesday detected heavy buying in the December 8 calls, which totaled more than 4,200 contracts compared with previous open interest of just 105. Almost all the trades priced for 10 cents.
Those buyers locked in an $8 entry price in the oil stock for the next 4-1/2 weeks. The calls stand to generate big leverage if the shares rally but will expire worthless if the stock doesn't move.Forest Oil fell 1.19% to $6.62 Tuesday but came off its lows as the calls hit. Last week the shares held the same $6 level where they bottomed over the summer, which could be leading some traders to believe that the stock is ready to rebound. Total option volume was nine times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 7 to 1. Russell has no positions in FST.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV