NEW YORK, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL), the global children's publishing, education and media company, announced today that it has revised its earnings guidance for the fiscal year ending May 31, 2013. The Company now expects earnings from continuing operations to be in the range of $1.40 to $1.60 per diluted share on revenues of approximately $1.8 to $1.9 billion, compared to the prior guidance of a range of $2.20 to $2.40 per diluted share on revenues of approximately $1.9 to $2.0 billion. The earnings guidance excludes the impact of any one-time items associated with cost reduction programs and non-cash, non-operating items. Free cash flow for the fiscal year is now expected to be in the range of $100 to $120 million.
The Company has revised its estimates as a result of factors that include lower curriculum product sales in its Educational Technology and Services segment, which the Company believes is attributable to school district financial resources being devoted to train district educators and administrators in advance of the implementation of the Common Core State Standards, thereby reducing the availability of funds for higher margin educational technology products, as well as a delay in purchasing decisions due to continued uncertainty regarding the federal budget. The Company's outlook for its Children's Book Publishing and Distribution segment was also revised to reflect lower sales in its Book Club business generally, lower than anticipated U.S. sales of The Hunger Games trilogy, and the impact of Superstorm Sandy on the School Book Fair and School Book Club businesses in the Northeast. In line with its previously communicated plan, the Company is investing in its digital initiatives at a higher level than in the prior fiscal year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV