Planar Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLNR), a worldwide leader in specialty display solutions, recorded sales of $41.4 million and GAAP loss per share of $0.23 in its fourth fiscal quarter ended September 28, 2012. On a Non-GAAP basis (see reconciliation table), loss per share was $0.10 in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012. Sales for fiscal year 2012 were $171.4 million and GAAP loss per share was $0.81. On a Non-GAAP basis loss per share was $0.40 in fiscal 2012.
“While sales and earnings in the fourth quarter were below our expectations, I am pleased that we did a good job managing working capital, resulting in an increase to our cash position,” said Gerry Perkel, Planar’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “In addition, the fourth quarter represented our highest quarter ever for sales of digital signage products. While we are pleased with the progress in growing our digital signage product revenues, we did take some additional actions to reduce our expense levels as we enter our new fiscal year as our commercial and industrial product revenues have declined faster than we had anticipated.”
FOURTH QUARTER BUSINESS SUMMARY
- Began shipping Planar® Mosaic™, a unique and versatile digital signage architectural design focused, video wall solution targeting the large and growing global wall covering market
- Began shipping the Planar® UltraLux™ Series, a family of 70" and 80" LCD displays that feature a unique industrial design and forward-thinking engineering which bring current consumer electronics styling to the commercial digital signage market
- Announced the Planar® Helium™ Series, a family of multi-touch desktop monitors designed to bring the touch experience alive when paired with a Microsoft® Windows® 8 device such as an Ultrabook™, tablet or desktop PC
FOURTH QUARTER FISCAL 2012 RESULTSThe Company’s total revenues decreased 7 percent compared to the third quarter of fiscal 2012 and declined 19 percent compared to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. Geographic results (in terms of quarterly revenue compared with the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011) decreased in all three Geographic regions, with the Americas decreasing 20 percent, Asia Pacific decreasing 17 percent, and Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) decreasing 17 percent. Sales of Digital Signage products totaled $13.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2012, a 20 percent increase from the same period a year ago. This increase was driven by higher sales of tiled LCD systems and signage monitors, which increased 18 percent and 57 percent respectively compared with the same period a year ago. In addition, sales of digital signage products increased in all three Geographic regions compared with the same period last year. Sales of Commercial and Industrial (C&I) products declined 30 percent to $27.8 million compared with the same quarter a year ago. This decrease was primarily driven by lower sales of Electroluminescent (EL) displays, rear-projection cubes, desktop monitors, and high-end home products, partially offset by increased sales of touch monitors which grew 42 percent compared to the same period a year ago.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts