Zale Corporation (NYSE: ZLC) today reported its financial results for the first quarter ended October 31, 2012.
“We are pleased to report our eighth consecutive quarter of positive same store sales and continued progress towards our goal of returning Zale to profitability,” commented Theo Killion, Chief Executive Officer. “As we enter the holiday period, we are confident our foundation is in place for this important selling season.”
First Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results
Revenues were $357 million, an increase of $6.5 million, or 1.8 percent, compared to $351 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.For the first quarter of fiscal 2013, comparable store sales increased 3.9 percent. This increase follows a 5.8 percent rise in the same period last year. At constant exchange rates, which exclude the effect of translating Canadian currency denominated sales into U.S. dollars, comparable store sales increased 3.7 percent.
- U.S. Fine Jewelry brands, consisting of Zales Jewelers, Zales Outlet and Gordon’s Jewelers, posted a comparable store sales increase of 3.9 percent. This increase follows a 7.0 percent rise in the same period last year.
- Canadian Fine Jewelry brands, consisting of Peoples Jewellers and Mappins Jewellers, posted a comparable store sales increase of 5.5 percent. This increase follows a 7.8 percent rise in the same period last year. At constant exchange rates, comparable store sales increased 4.0 percent in the first quarter of fiscal 2013, following an increase of 4.7 percent in the same period last year.
- Piercing Pagoda, our Kiosk Jewelry business, posted a comparable store sales increase of 2.0 percent. In the same period last year, comparable store sales declined 1.6 percent.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts