Home For The Holidays In New York? It's Prime Time For Checking On Older Relatives
AARP Releases List of Quick Tips & Questions to Simplify Observing How Older Relatives are Doing
NEW YORK, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The turkey is defrosting in the refrigerator and family, both immediate and extended, is starting to gather at the house for Thanksgiving. For many American families this is the once-a-year time that they travel from across the nation and world to be with loved ones and AARP says its prime time to check on older family members.
To help, today, AARP is releasing a list of tips and questions to simplify observing how Mom, Dad and other relatives are doing with everything from mobility to heath and finances.
Taking a Look at their Home – How to tell if their home is still appropriate
- Can they still manage the stairs, or would a chair lift or a home on one level be better?
- Are you concerned that their home may have safety hazards, such as dark stairs, loose rugs, clutter, or fire hazards? Would brighter lighting and fewer tripping hazards help? The checklists on AARP's web site can help.
- Is there a bath on the ground floor and a room that could become a bedroom if necessary?
- Could simple modifications to their home, like easier to use handles and switches, pull out cabinet shelves, a comfort height toilet or walk in shower make it more convenient?
- If they are still driving, ride with them and observe their driving. Are they having close calls? Are there dents or dings on the car or garage? Do they drive too slow or miss signs or signals? Do they have difficulties at intersections? Have they gotten warnings or tickets? These are a few signs that it might be time to talk about limiting driving or hanging up the keys. For help talking about driving try this: www.aarp.org/weneedtotalk
- Look around the community or make a note to research their alternative transportation options for shopping, medical visits, religious services and visits with family and friends if they hang up the keys.
- If you don't already know about their health problems and current medications, take this time to ask. Are their prescriptions current?
- Has their doctor or pharmacist reviewed all of their medications for side effects and potentially dangerous interactions or effect on driving? Their pharmacist can be a great resource. www.aarp.org/relationships/caregiving/info-02-2009/ginzler_wise_use
- Are they having any problems taking their medications? Do they always remember which medications to take and when? Would a pill organizer be helpful?
- Make sure that they know that it is Medicare open enrollment season until December 7 and see if they need to update their coverage. See if they have any questions about Medicare or Medicaid or changes under the new health care law. Find help at www.aarp.org/medicare.
- See if they could use help with filling out forms, such as insurance claims.
- Is all of their financial information in one place and do you know where it is so you can access it in an emergency?
- Check on the condition of their mail. Are bills stacking up? Are there late notices?
- Do they have any bills they can't pay?
- It could be wise to take this opportunity to make a resolution to plan for your own future. Here's help: www.aarp.org/decide
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.