EU And U.S. Sign Joint Declaration To Make The Internet Safer For Kids
WASHINGTON, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- European Commission Vice President for the Digital Agenda Neelie Kroes and the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano have today signed a joint declaration in London, committing to make the Internet a safer and better place for children.
In the declaration, Vice President Kroes and Secretary Napolitano:
- agree to implement joint campaigns on the occasion of an annual Safer Internet Day. As a first step, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security intends to participate in the European Union's Safer Internet Day for young people on February 5, 2013.
- commit to contribute to international cooperation in fighting child sexual abuse online in the immediate future. This will build on existing work by the Virtual Global Taskforce and Interpol on law enforcement collaboration to combat child sexual abuse worldwide. International cooperation is essential if we are to be effective in fighting child sexual abuse online.
- acknowledge that parents and guardians need to trust the content and services their children access and commit to continue working with industry and other stakeholders so that parents and children can make informed choices online.
This declaration complements other European Commission initiatives to keep children safe and confident in the digital world. These include the EU Strategy for a safer internet and better internet content for children and teenagers presented earlier this year, and a Commission-brokered coalition of top tech & media companies to make the internet a better place for our kids.
BackgroundThe groundwork for today's declaration was prepared by the EU-U.S. Working Group on Cyber-security and Cyber-crime. This was established in the context of the EU-U.S. Summit of November 20, 2010 held in Lisbon with the aim to tackle new threats to the global networks upon which the security and prosperity of our free societies increasingly depend. Within the European Commission, Vice-President Kroes is responsible for cyber-security and Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom for tackling cyber-crime. Within the United States, the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Justice, Department of State, Department of Commerce and other federal entities collaborate to help strengthen cyber-security and fight cyber-crime. For further information, please see:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV