Survey: Many With Money Troubles 'Wish They Could Skip' the Holidays
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the holidays arrive, the problems of the "underbanked" -- loosely defined as consumers with no bank accounts who often turn to higher-risk financial services such as payday loans, prepaid debit cards and direct deposit advances -- grow worse.
While the National Retail Foundation expects holiday spending to rise 4.1% from last year, a bigger rise than over the past 10 years, not everyone is taking part.
According to Think Finance, a Fort Worth, Texas, personal financial services provider, 45% of the underbanked are so sick and tired of worrying about financial issues they "wish they could skip" the holidays altogether.
A glimpse at the data provided by Think Finance reveals why so many financially distressed Americans are so distressed over the holidays:
- 45% of underbanked Americans surveyed say they don't have enough money to cover holiday expenses.
- 85% say they will spend the same or less money on holiday gifts this year than they did in 2011.
- 44% define their anxiety level going into the holiday season as either "high or extremely high."
- 41% say they will take advantage of store layaway programs (even 50% of Americans in the $75,000 to $99,000 annual income bracket are counting on using layaway programs this year), but most underbanked Americans say they need another financing option beyond layaway to keep holiday spending under budget.
- 59% say they will carry extensive debt into 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV