Also on the minds of gold investors is whether eurozone finance ministers will release emergency loans to Greece. The euro was effectively unchanged Tuesday as multiple reports suggested optimism that the eurozone would finally release the funds.
News of promising fiscal cliff negotiations, driven by the president's comments on Friday and his White House press secretary on Saturday, led gold prices higher on Monday. Some analysts suggested this move higher was warranted.
"I think the positive reaction in the market is warranted to some extent in that a lot of its selling was, first of all, surprise selling on the part of those individuals -- could be close to half the population, could be close to half the investing population -- who actually thought as late as 10 p.m. election night that [Mitt] Romney was going to win," Brian Gendreau, a market strategist at Cetera Financial Group, said Monday in an interview.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV