MBIA Inc. (the “Company” or “MBIA”) (NYSE: MBI) today announced that it recommends rejection of the unsolicited tender offer by Bank of America Corporation (“BOA”) on November 13, 2012 to purchase all of MBIA’s outstanding 5.70% Senior Notes due 2034 (the “Notes”). MBIA Inc. is the parent of MBIA Insurance Corporation (“MBIA Corp.”).
MBIA arrived at this position after considering all of the facts and circumstances surrounding BOA’s unsolicited note tender offer. In particular, MBIA believes that BOA’s tender offer is not in the best interest of the holders of our Notes because:
- As reflected in BOA’s own public statements, we believe the purpose of BOA’s tender offer is not to make an economic investment in MBIA Inc.'s debt securities, but rather to affect the outcome of MBIA Corp.'s RMBS-related put-back claims against BOA and obtain a preferential settlement of those claims and its other MBIA Corp. exposure. Such an outcome would be detrimental to all policyholders other than BOA; and, in combination with BOA’s stated intention that the consent solicitation amending the bond indentures fail, detrimental to all MBIA Inc. bondholders. MBIA is evaluating its legal options with respect to BOA’s tender offer, including whether it violates any applicable laws, and may take such actions as it believes are available to it and necessary to protect the interests of its insurance subsidiaries' policyholders and its security holders. There can be no assurance that MBIA will prevail in any such action if it commences an action or that MBIA will successfully contest BOA’s tender offer on these or other grounds.
- BOA has retained a right to terminate the tender offer under a number of specified circumstances, significantly reducing the likelihood that the transaction will be completed.
The announcements contained in this press release were made pursuant to MBIA’s obligations under Rule 14e-2 under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV