HONOLULU, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- School-aged children in Hawaii have just 10 more days to submit their artwork for Alaska Airlines' statewide "Paint the Plane" contest. The contest is a partnership between the airline, Hawaii State Department of Education and the Hawaii Association of Independent Schools, and encourages students to create artwork honoring the unique culture of the Aloha State.
Students in kindergarten through 12th grade from public, private and home schools across the state have until Nov. 30 to submit designs that best capture the "Spirit of the Islands." A final selection panel comprised of 10 judges representing Hawaii's government, community, arts, education and tourism leaders will select three top designs. Residents of Hawaii will then vote on the top three designs and provide Alaska Airlines with their recommendation in an online public vote slated for Dec. 11-18.
"We've seen many creative and colorful submissions from students across Hawaii and encourage any student from public, private and home schools to submit their best artwork," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "This is an opportunity for a budding young artist to showcase the 'Spirit of the Islands' to travelers across the country—and the deadline is next week."
The student with the winning submission will get his or her design painted on an Alaska Airlines aircraft, a trip for four to any of the carrier's destinations and a $5,000 scholarship. Second- and third-place winners will receive a trip for four to any Alaska Airlines destination, and 12 honorable mentions will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship each."What a great way for Alaska Airlines to celebrate five years of serving the Hawaiian Islands," said Mike McCartney, president and CEO of the Hawaii Tourism Authority and one of the contest judges. "This is truly a unique opportunity for our young people and will allow Hawaii to share our aloha spirit on a flying mural across North America. I hope that students from all grade levels on every island will submit their best designs and I look forward to seeing what our talented keiki come up with!" "Spirit of the Islands" contest schedule:
- Nov. 30 – Entry forms must be postmarked and mailed to the designated Alaska Airlines P.O. box in Honolulu
- Dec.11-18 – Hawaii residents vote online for their favorite design at www.alaskaair.com/hawaii
- Jan.10, 2013 – Online voting results and winner announced
- Spring 2013 – Painted plane unveiled
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV