BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- The biggest day in retail is just a few days away, and that's providing trading opportunities for investors who go looking for them this week.
Black Friday may be a shopping smorgasbord for consumers who are determined enough shake off their tryptophan-induced comas after Turkey Day, but for retailers, it's an equally big deal. Traditionally, Black Friday got its name as the day retailers move into profitability for the year (into the black). Not surprisingly, a good sales showing on Black Friday can make or break a fourth quarter -- and it provides a reliable barometer for the strength of consumer spending.
But we're not trying to predict sales forecasts for Friday. Instead, we're focusing on the technical side of things with five retail names that look tradable before the big day.One big takeaway should be there are lots of similar setups out there. That's not hugely surprising -- correlations are high in the retail industry, so birds of a feather tend to flock together. As you're about to see, that bodes well technically for retail as a group. >>5 Breakout Stock Plays: Must-See Charts For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. So, without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV