Wyo. Governor's Office Developing Energy Policy
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) â¿¿ Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead is pushing forward with development of an energy policy for the state, saying he can't keep criticizing the federal government for failing to chart the nation's energy future without having the state's own house in order.
Energy is the economic lifeblood of Wyoming, a leading producer of coal, uranium and other resources. Taxes on energy production fund the bulk of government operations in the state, which imposes no personal or corporate income tax.
Yet Wyoming also has to deal with the effects of the industry. For example, biologists for years have said drilling and other development have caused sharp declines in the population of sage grouse in Wyoming and elsewhere.State officials are anxious to avoid seeing the bird listed as an endangered species in coming years, which could crimp energy production. Mead's staff has been meeting with Wyoming energy companies as well as conservation groups and others since early summer to get development of an energy policy rolling. Shawn Reese, Mead's policy director, said Monday the planning process has identified four major themes for the policy: Economic competiveness; efficient regulation; natural resource conservation; and development of new technologies. Reese said the governor's office intends to release a number of draft initiatives in coming weeks to be followed by public meetings in early December. Mead previously said initiatives must be specific enough for state government to be accountable in executing the strategy. "I am enthusiastic about the support and interest in this strategy, and I think it can serve as a way for Wyoming to find a true balance," he said. Reese said one initiative under consideration is development of a geographic decision-making tool. While various Wyoming agencies have a lot of good data, he said it's never been combined into a single map.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV