Georgia Tech Launches Manufacturing Institute
GTMI will focus on the complete innovation value chain – from raw and recycled resources to prototypes and finished products. It will develop materials, systems, processes, educational offerings and policies that impact manufacturers' performance in the marketplace.
"GTMI is industry-focused and customer-centric, amplifying Georgia Tech's reputation globally as the world's leader in innovation-driven manufacturing," Wang said.
With roughly 400,000 square feet of space and state-of-the art core facilities for manufacturing research, GTMI will target specific industry needs in manufacturing by forming "collaboratories" – co-located pilot plants or prototype shops where Georgia Tech scientists and engineers work side-by-side with their counterparts from industry, government and other universities.
"By implementing best practices to develop outward-facing, collaboration-based programs of the highest impact, we are focusing on understanding and achieving the value propositions of all stakeholders to better define and deliver offerings to companies, government, other universities and colleges, and non-profits," Wang said. "By doing so, we will maximize U.S. global competitiveness through accelerated innovation and technology deployment."Education is also a priority of the new manufacturing research institute. With top-quality researchers, facilities and technological equipment, GTMI aims to educate and train the workforce of the future to investigate, collaborate and compete successfully through both its on-site programs and via collaborative, manufacturing-based instructional programs in technical colleges. In addition to providing real-world research opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students, GTMI offers a manufacturing certificate program, manufacturing scholarships and student assistantships, and it conducts Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) outreach activities. GTMI brings together many of Georgia Tech's world-class innovation activities including:
- Additive Manufacturing: Using innovative direct digital manufacturing to improve cost structure and delivery lead-time in creating mechanical parts and electronic devices.
- Factory Information Systems: Developing, testing and launching innovative software and technology that boosts manufacturing efficiency.
- Model-based Systems Engineering: Applying software and electronics innovations to create analytic models that predict system performance, optimize system parameters and create knowledge repositories for future systems development.
- Policy: Understanding industry needs and promoting supportive policy to ensure the strength and viability of U.S. manufacturing competitiveness in the global marketplace. Using a multi-scale, multi-disciplinary approach enables Georgia Tech experts to see beyond traditional boundaries and to better understand where policy interventions can develop, support and sustain a resilient manufacturing base.
- Precision Machining: Researching and applying technologies for enhanced productivity, part quality, difficult-to-machine features and machine tool utilization of precision finishing processes.
- Supply Chain and Logistics: Applying scientific principles to optimize the design and integration of supply chain processes, infrastructure, technology and strategy including developing new analysis, design and management tools, and concepts and strategies.
- Sustainable Design: Developing materials, processes and systems for implementing and operationalizing sustainability.
- Ultra-lightweight, Energy Efficient Materials and Structures: Using rigorous experimental and modeling R&D to advance and mature technology in aerospace, biomedical, defense, energy and industrial equipment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV