Neb. Unemployment Improves To 3.8 Pct In October
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) Nebraska's unemployment rate declined to 3.8 percent in October to remain one of the lowest rates in the nation, the state Labor Department said in a report released Tuesday.
The preliminary state rate for October was less than last year's 4.4 percent and lower than this September's 3.9 percent rate.
The Nebraska Department of Labor says the state unemployment rate was less than half the national rate of 7.9 percent in October. The national rate is down from last October's 8.9 percent but up slightly from September's 7.8 percent.
Only North Dakota's September rate of 3.1 percent was lower than Nebraska's."Good weather is keeping construction numbers up, and a variety of industries are showing growth," Labor Commissioner Catherine Lang said. The number of unemployed people in Nebraska was estimated at 38,229 in October. That's lower than the 39,854 in September and the 44,081 unemployed last October. In Nebraska's largest city, the unemployment rate increased slightly to 3.9 percent in October from September's 3.8 percent. The rate remained below last October's 4.6 percent. In Lincoln, the unemployment rate also increased slightly in October to 3.2 percent over the previous month's 3.1 percent. A year ago, the Lincoln unemployment rate was 3.6 percent in October. The unemployment rates for Lincoln and Omaha are not seasonally adjusted, the department has said, so they cannot be directly compared to the state unemployment rate. Here are preliminary area labor market unemployment rates for October, followed by the revised September rates: Beatrice: 4.3, 4.2 Columbus: 3.0, 3.0 Fremont: 3.8, 3.8 Grand Island: 3.4, 3.2 Hastings: 3.3, 3.1 Kearney: 2.7, 2.6 Lexington: 3.7, 3.8 Norfolk: 3.1, 3.0 North Platte: 3.0, 2.9 Red Willow: 3.1, 2.9 Scotts Bluff: 3.9, 3.8 ___ Online: Nebraska Department of Labor: http://www.dol.nebraska.gov
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV