NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Vanguard has fired MSCI. Twenty-two Vanguard index funds that were tracking stock indexes from MSCI will soon be following FTSE and CRSP indexes.
What does this mean to you? Should you be concerned? Should you fire Vanguard as your ETF vendor? Read on for answers.
Additionally, 16 U.S. stock funds will move to newly developed benchmarks from the University of Chicago's Center for Research in Security Prices, or CRSP. These changes will apply to all the funds' share classes, including exchange-traded funds (ETFs). The Vanguard announcement linked above has a list of affected funds.The changes will take place gradually during the first six months of 2013, although Vanguard does not intend to reveal the schedules for individual funds. An added twist for the Vanguard Emerging Markets ETF (VWO) is it will be tracking a specially developed transition index during that time. Additional information on this process is available in the
When building portfolios based on multiple index providers, investors need to be cognizant of overlap and underlap. The most talked about example of this appears in the international indexes and the classification of South Korea. In the MSCI methodology, South Korea is an "emerging market" while in the FTSE methodology it has "developed market" status.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV