ShopSmart: Best Sites & Apps For Shopping Local
Poll of dedicated local shoppers finds four out of ten women plan to shop independents this holiday season and reveals five of the top reasons why they do so all year long
YONKERS, N.Y. , Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- When shopping local, shoppers may have a few go-to stores, but there are sites and apps that can uncover other local gems in time for the holiday shopping season. The December 2012 issue of ShopSmart, from Consumer Reports, identifies 11 sites and apps to help shoppers navigate their local businesses and even score discounts and deals.
"Shopping at local, independently-owned stores doesn't necessarily mean you'll spend more," said Lisa Lee Freeman, editor-in-chief of ShopSmart. "Shoppers can use sites and apps to find coupons and other special promotions from these retailers."
ShopSmart also conducted a national poll to find out why and where American women shop locally. Respondents deemed thrift stores/consignment shops as their favorite type of independent store by far, followed by hobby/craft supplies, clothing boutiques, bookstores and antiques. When asked why they shopped locally, the women who had a favorite store named the following (other than price) as their top five reasons:
- Fun to browse (40 %)
- To support small-business owners (34%)
- Customer service (29%)
- Location (27%)
- Unique or specialty products (25%)
- Dealize.com helps users stay on top of deals by sending a daily e-mail comprised of all the day's offers from Groupon, Living Social, and others which can often save 50 percent or more on local eats, goods and services.
- IndependentWeStand.com is best for finding independently owned businesses by ZIP code. The database isn't totally complete yet but is growing.
- Valpak Local Savings app features coupons for local retailers and services such as chimney cleaning and taxis. Available for Android and Apple.
- Yelp.com is best known for its restaurant reviews, but it also lists local shops so users can see what other people think of retailers, service pros, and others. Yelp app users can score check-in discounts as well. Available for Android, Apple, and Blackberry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV