Israel Museums Hide Art To Protect It From Rockets
Then, a month before the "All His Sons: The Brueghel Dynasty" exhibition opened in August, two foreign museums backed down on their promise to loan two important paintings by the Flemish master's sons because of heightened talk of a possible Iran-Israel war, Lurie said.
"'Are you serious that you're asking for this painting for summer 2012?'" Lurie recalled museum representatives telling him.
Now the exhibition's works are behind a heavy, hulking metal door with an outsized combination lock. Wearing white gloves, Lurie turned a large silver wheel in the middle of the door and struggled to pull it open to show some of the stored paintings.
Despite concerns about the risks, top masterworks are frequently exhibited in Israeli museums on loan from world institutions and collectors. Displaying masterpieces is a trickier proposition in the West Bank: It took yearlong negotiations with Israel's army and Dutch museum officials to get a $7 million Pablo Picasso masterpiece safely into a West Bank gallery in 2011.Only a few rockets have whistled over the skies of Tel Aviv during the current conflict, and the city is considered safer than other Israeli towns along the Gaza border. So the Tel Aviv museum let southern Israelis visit the museum for free â¿¿ and reduced admission for everyone else to account for the 200 or so missing spots on the museum walls. The Israel Museum and Eretz Israel Museum also offered free and discounted entry. The works moved into the safes in Tel Aviv and Ashdod were mostly pieces on loan from private collectors. "If they survived 800 years before they got here, we have to do the utmost, for the good of humanity, so they will survive at least another 500 years," said Lurie. ____ Estrin reported from Jerusalem. Follow Estrin at www.twitter.com/danielestrin
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV