HOUSTON, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Apache Corporation (NYSE, Nasdaq: APA) today announced promising drilling results in the Dunvegan oil reservoir in the Kaybob development area in Alberta, Canada. Kaybob is a prolific area located 310 miles (500 km) northwest of Calgary that contains 16 known productive horizons; the Dunvegan play is one of the primary targets.
The most recent of four Kaybob Dunvegan development wells – the 1-35 – tested at a rate of 300 barrels of oil per day (bopd). The well was drilled to a vertical depth of 5,700 feet (1,732 meters) with a 4,300-foot (1,319-meter) lateral and a 13-stage fracture stimulation completion.
The first well in the campaign – the 1-9 – tested at a peak rate of 280 bopd. It was drilled to a vertical depth of 5,500 feet (1,676 meters) with a 4,900-foot (1,490-meter) lateral and 13 fracture stages.
"These wells were drilled in areas which have been producing for over 40 years but which have the potential to be completely rejuvenated through the application of horizontal drilling and multi-stage hydraulic fracturing," said Tim Wall, president of Apache Canada. "These encouraging results have contributed to identifying more than 2,000 potential horizontal drilling locations across our 238,000-acre gross (179,000-acre net) leasehold."The Dunvegan is a widespread, high quality Upper Cretaceous sandstone reservoir. A 13-stage horizontal well is expected to recover an estimated 560,000 barrels of oil equivalent. Longer term, the Dunvegan represents a good candidate for additional production by means of secondary recovery. "Apache's leading acreage position in the Kaybob area is another example of the richness of our portfolio," Wall said. "Like other Apache regions, we are focused on growing through the drill bit in oil- and liquids-rich-gas plays with a significant backlog of drilling locations in a number of stacked pay areas."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV