More than a third (37%) of U.S. middle market retail executives expect stronger sales this holiday season, due in part to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, according to Burt Feinberg , Group Head of CIT Commercial & Industrial at CIT Group Inc, (NYSE: CIT) cit.com, a leading provider of financing to small businesses and middle market companies. This topic is one of many discussed in the U.S. Retail Sector Outlook (cit.com/retailoutlook2012), the latest in a series of in-depth executive video Q&As featured in CIT’s Executive Insights video series (cit.com/executiveinsights).
Shift from Bricks and Mortar to Innovation
Retailers continue to focus on growing their businesses, but have shifted from traditional bricks and mortar storefronts to drive this growth. “Retail executives are focused on being more innovative, expanding product lines, improving service and staffing, marketing initiatives, advertising, utilizing new media and implementing loyalty programs to drive growth,” says Feinberg.
Gaining Market Share through Social Media and TechnologyTechnology and social media are playing an increasingly larger role in retail today. “It’s critical for retail executives to be on top of where social media’s going,” says Feinberg. “About half of our respondents said they’re active or very active in using social media and more than sixty percent have created mobile applications, having shifted marketing dollars from other channels. Others have implemented e-mail marketing campaigns, texting programs and expanded the use of handheld devices.” Retailers are excelling at mining their customers through electronic platforms. “They know who their customers are and how to communicate with them,” says Feinberg. “They now send their customers e-mails, coupons and promotions, which are all part of retention strategies that keep customers coming back.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV