U.S. Simple Meals operating earnings increased 5 percent to $274 million compared with $260 million in the prior-year period. The increase in operating earnings was driven by earnings gains in U.S. Soup, partly offset by a decline in U.S. Sauces. For the segment, benefits from productivity improvements; higher selling prices net of related volume impacts; and lower marketing expenses were partly offset by cost inflation.
Global Baking and Snacking
Sales for Global Baking and Snacking were $574 million for the first quarter, an increase of 1 percent from a year ago. The change in sales reflected the following factors:
- Volume and mix added 2 percent
- Price and sales allowances added 2 percent
- Increased promotional spending subtracted 3 percent
Further details of sales results included the following:
Sales of “Pepperidge Farm” products increased, driven by volume gains
and higher selling prices, partially offset by increased promotional
- In cookies and crackers, sales increases were driven by solid gains in “Goldfish” snack crackers and the launch of “Jingos!,” partly offset by declines in cookies.
- Bakery sales declined. Bakery sales were negatively impacted by increased promotional spending in response to competitive activity.
- Sales at Arnott’s increased primarily due to double-digit gains in Indonesia. Sales in Australia were comparable to the prior year.
- Volume and mix subtracted 1 percent
- Price and sales allowances added 3 percent
- Currency subtracted 3 percent
- In Canada, higher selling prices contributed to sales growth.
- In Europe, sales declines in Germany were partially offset by gains in France.
- In the Asia Pacific region, sales increased due to strong growth in Japan and Malaysia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV