Heinz Reports Double-Digit EPS Growth To $0.90 From Continuing Operations; Reaffirms Previously Announced Fiscal 2013 Full-Year Sales And Profit Outlook
Marketing increased 13.4% on a constant currency basis (10.0% increase on a reported basis), reflecting a significant increase in the U.S. and continued support in Emerging Markets.
SG&A expenses (which excludes marketing) of $502 million increased 0.3% to 17.8% of sales, and increased 2.3% excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012, reflecting strategic investments to drive growth primarily in Emerging Markets and global systems.
Operating income of $392 million grew 9.4%. Excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012, operating income declined 1.0% due to a 1.5% unfavorable impact from foreign exchange.
Heinz benefited from a previously projected low tax rate for the quarter. The effective tax rate was 9.6% compared to 18.1% a year ago or 19.6% excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012. The Company expects a full-year tax rate of around 20%.Net income from continuing operations of $290 million grew 22.3%, or 10.4% excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012. Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $0.90 grew 23.3%, or 11.1% excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012. EPS was unfavorably impacted by $0.02 from foreign currency translation and translation hedges. On a constant currency, continuing operations basis, sales grew 2.9% and excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012, operating income increased 0.5% and EPS rose 13.6%. Total Company net income, including discontinued operations, was $289 million and EPS grew to $0.90. Fiscal 2013 Outlook “Heinz remains on track to deliver our previously announced sales and profit outlook for Fiscal 2013,” Mr. Johnson said. For the full year, Heinz expects:
- At least 4.0% organic sales growth;
- Constant currency EPS growth of 5-8% on a continuing operations basis and excluding charges for productivity initiatives in Fiscal 2012; and
- Strong operating free cash flow of $1 billion plus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV