NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What a wonderful day for investors who own shares of Deckers Outdoors (DECK). Shares rocketed 8.6% higher on Monday to close at $33.59. It was a great day to own stocks, gold, energy and just about everything.
Another upside performer was a company whose shoes I wear almost every day. Nike (NKE) rallied over 4% to close at $96.32. Oh happy day!
Even though I don't own shares of NKE, I'm happy for the Nike shareholders who will experience the benefits of an important announcement the company made on Nov. 15: The Board of Directors approved a two-for-one split of both NIKE Class A and Class B Common shares.
The stock split will be in the form of a 100% stock dividend payable on Dec. 24 to shareholders of record at the close of business Dec. 10. That means it's not too late for you and me to participate, even though it's 10 days before NKE announces its results from its last quarter on Dec. 20.Upon completion of the split, the outstanding shares of NIKE Class A and Class B common stock will increase to approximately 178 million and 720 million, respectively. The company expects its common stock to begin trading at the split-adjusted price on Dec. 26.
There's more good news for NKE shareholders: The Board of Directors also declared a quarterly cash dividend on the company's outstanding Class A and Class B Common Stock of 21 cents per share, on a post-split basis, payable on Dec. 26 to shareholders of record at the close of business on Dec. 10. The dividend represents a 17% increase over the previous split-adjusted quarterly rate of 18 cents per share. This is the eleventh year in a row Nike has increased its annual dividend, over which time the dividend has increased by a factor of almost seven.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV