Jack in the Box Inc. (NASDAQ: JACK) today reported earnings from continuing operations of $17.8 million, or $0.39 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared with earnings from continuing operations of $23.2 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
Fiscal 2012 earnings from continuing operations totaled $63.0 million, or $1.40 per diluted share, compared with $81.7 million, or $1.63 per diluted share in fiscal 2011.
Operating earnings per share, a non-GAAP measure which the company defines as diluted earnings per share from continuing operations on a GAAP basis excluding restructuring charges and gains from refranchising, were $0.27 per share in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 compared with $0.20 per share in the prior year quarter. Operating earnings per share for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 includes $2.0 million, or approximately $0.03 per share, of lease costs associated with previously closed restaurants, which are reflected in “impairment and other charges, net” in the accompanying consolidated statements of earnings. For fiscal year 2012, operating earnings per share were $1.20 compared with $0.85 last year. A reconciliation of non-GAAP measurements to GAAP results is provided below with additional information included in the attachment to this release. Figures may not add due to rounding.
|12 Weeks Ended||52 Weeks Ended|
|September 30,2012||October 2,2011||September 30,2012||October 2,2011|
|Diluted earnings per share from|
|continuing operations – GAAP||$||0.39||$||0.50||$||1.40||$||1.63|
|Plus: Restructuring charges||0.04||−||0.23||−|
|Less: Gains from refranchising||(0.16||)||(0.30||)||(0.44||)||(0.78||)|
|Operating earnings per share - Non-GAAP||$||0.27||$||0.20||$||1.20||$||0.85|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV