One secret to trading options is to manage risk. Stocks have linear risk. If a stock moves a point then you have made or lost a point. If an option moves in a certain direction then the delta may accelerate and it may go against you more than expected. The key to managing risk in an option portfolio is to control position size. There is no such thing as a perfect trader. Everyone loses sometimes. The key is to not lose too much on any one trade.
My technique is to reserve 20% of your account cash for emergencies. For an option trader an emergency is defined as an early assignment of an option position or a margin call. The remaining 80% of your cash can be used for margin on any positions you may sell. My general preference is to collect premium so selling options is my general bias. My recommendation is to diversify into as many positions as you can reasonably handle. For some this may be 10 or 20 positions. For me it is usually about 40. Obviously if you have 10 positions then your typical trade size is 8% of your account. If you have 40 positions then the 80% actively traded results in only 2% allocated to each trade. Ultimately the key is not having too much at risk in each trade.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV