Please refer to the “Discussion of Non-GAAP Financial Measures” and to the “GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliations,” included elsewhere in this release, for more information regarding the company’s use of non-GAAP measures.
“In fiscal 2012, Nuance delivered its strongest year ever, led by 25% revenue growth and 32% operating cash flow growth,” said Tom Beaudoin, Nuance executive vice president and CFO. “Design wins and partnerships with global leaders such as Cerner, Intel and Samsung are extending Nuance technology into new solutions and expanding our addressable markets. Across our markets, Nuance’s ability to deliver customized voice and natural language solutions that understand user intent drove record bookings in fiscal 2012 and continues to drive unprecedented customer interest, positioning us well for growth in fiscal 2013.”
Highlights from the quarter include:
- Healthcare – For Nuance’s healthcare solutions, fiscal 2012 non-GAAP revenue was $669.4 million, up 27.1%, and fourth quarter non-GAAP revenue was $189.7 million, up 27.6%, from the corresponding periods last year. During the fourth quarter, new bookings included large eScription, Dragon Medical and radiology contracts. Key healthcare customers included Beaumont, Franciscan Health System, Kettering Healthcare, Maine Medical Center, Memorial Healthcare, Mt. Sinai, Poudre Valley Health System, Providence Healthcare, Swedish Health Services, U.S. Army Medical Command, Veterans Health Administration, and Zwanger Pesiri.
- Mobile & Consumer – For Nuance’s mobile and consumer solutions, fiscal 2012 non-GAAP revenue was $508.3 million, up 29.2%, and fourth quarter non-GAAP revenue was $152.2 million, up 28.2%, from the corresponding periods last year. Key mobile customers, new bookings or design wins in the quarter included Acer, Amazon, Audi, Delphi, Ford, Garmin, Huawei, Intel, Metro PCS, Movistar Spain, Nissan, Samsung, Telefonica Spain, and ZTE.
- Enterprise – For Nuance’s enterprise solutions, fiscal 2012 non-GAAP revenue was $332.0 million, up 12.0%, and fourth quarter non-GAAP revenue was $90.3 million, up 12.9%, from the corresponding periods last year. Key enterprise customers in the quarter included Australia Department of Human Services, Bradesco, C Spire, Cigna, Citigroup, Geico, Metro PCS, Telstra, UK Department for Work and Pensions, UK HM Revenue & Customs, USAA, USAir, and Vonage.
- Imaging – For Nuance’s document imaging solutions, fiscal 2012 revenue was $228.4 million, up 28.7%, and fourth quarter non-GAAP revenue was $57.9 million, up 11.1%, from the corresponding periods last year. Key imaging customers in the quarter included Amazon, Canon, Deloitte, EMC, Humanware, JP Morgan, Ricoh, and Xerox.
Conference Call and Prepared RemarksNuance is providing a copy of prepared remarks in combination with its press release. These remarks are offered to provide shareholders and analysts with additional time and detail for analyzing results in advance of the company’s quarterly conference call. The remarks will be available at http://www.nuance.com/earnings-results/ in conjunction with the press release. As previously scheduled, the conference call will begin today, November 19, 2012 at 5:00 EST and will include only brief comments followed by questions and answers. The prepared remarks will not be read on the call. To access the live broadcast, please visit the Investor Relations section of Nuance’s Website at www.nuance.com. The call can also be heard by dialing (800) 230-1059 or (612) 234-9960 at least five minutes prior to the call and referencing code 267082. A replay will be available within 24 hours of the announcement by dialing (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844 and using the access code 267082. About Nuance Communications, Inc Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) is a leading provider of voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with devices and systems. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance’s proven applications. For more information, please visit www.nuance.com. Trademark reference: Nuance, the Nuance logo, Dragon Medical and eScription are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks referenced herein are the property of their respective owners. Safe Harbor and Forward-Looking Statements Statements in this document regarding continued growth in fiscal 2012 and Nuance management’s future expectations, beliefs, goals, plans or prospects constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements that are not statements of historical fact (including statements containing the words “believes,” “plans,” “anticipates,” “expects,” or “estimates” or similar expressions) should also be considered to be forward-looking statements. There are a number of important factors that could cause actual results or events to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements, including: fluctuations in demand for Nuance’s existing and future products; economic conditions in the United States and abroad; Nuance’s ability to control and successfully manage its expenses and cash position; the effects of competition, including pricing pressure; possible defects in Nuance’s products and technologies; the ability of Nuance to successfully integrate operations and employees of acquired businesses; the ability to realize anticipated synergies from acquired businesses; and the other factors described in Nuance’s annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended September 30, 2011 and Nuance’s quarterly reports on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Nuance disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements as a result of developments occurring after the date of this document.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV