Don't Get Carried Away With Fiscal Cliff Optimism
But it's difficult to parse any detailed information that would suggest Congress will reach a meaningful budget deal.
"The markets are encouraged that we're on the cusp of a 'Kumbaya' moment in Washington, and that we'll get some kind of an agreement that will stave off the big tax increases and the spending cuts," said Alan Gayle, senior strategist at RidgeWorth Investments.
When asked by reporters over the weekend about rumors of a working fiscal-cliff framework, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said congressional leaders and the president hoped to achieve a balanced approach to deficit reduction."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV