Builders Bump Up Thanks to Drop in Existing Home Supply
By Diana Olick, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK ( CNBC) -- Sales of existing homes are recovering slowly, but a drop in supplies of those homes is pushing confidence among the new home builders to a six year high.
There are just 2.1 million existing homes for sale, which is a 22% drop from a year ago, according to the National Association of Realtors (NAR). Much of this is due to a drop in foreclosed and distressed homes, as lenders try to modify troubled loans more aggressively.
"In view of the tightening supply and other improving conditions, many potential buyers who were on the fence are now motivated to move forward with a purchase in order to take advantage of today's favorable prices and interest rates," wrote Berry Rutenberg, chairman of the National Association of Home Builders in a release Monday.That pushed home builder sentiment up 5 points in November on the NAHB's monthly survey. It now stands at 46, just 4 points shy of the line between positive and negative sentiment. Last year sentiment was around 19. The component of the index gauging current sales jumped 8 points, and sales expectations jumped 2 points, the only component now in the positive range. Again, much of that is due to a lower overall supply of homes on the market, as distressed homes fell to 24% of all sales, down from nearly 40% at the worst of the housing crash.
| More from CNBC
Why Chrysler's Makeover Is Far From Finished
Best Buy Deja Vu? Website Crashes as Shoppers Ramp Up
Tell the Truth: You Still Wanna Be an Astronaut!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV