Cliffs Cutting Iron Production, Affecting 625 Jobs
"All that together indicates there's a real potential for a slowdown in iron ore until we get the steel industry back and going," he said.
One factor that could spur a recovery in global demand and thus benefit the Iron Range is China's new plan for stepping up spending on its public infrastructure, Fosnacht said. Another is the rebuilding effort after Superstorm Sandy, which he said eventually will mean a pickup in the construction industry in the Northeast and higher demand for new home appliances made of steel.
Craig Pagel, president of the Iron Mining Association of Minnesota, said there are good indications that the industry expects long-term demand for iron ore will be strong, such as the new Mesabi Nugget, Magnetation and Essar Steel projects on the Range, as well as U.S. Steel's plans to expand its Keetac operation.
"I'm cautiously optimistic that the economy will continue to recover and world trends for iron ore will continue to rise. ... I don't believe a short-term market indicator is a long-term trend," Pagel said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV