Portugal Passes Test To Get More Bailout Funds
LISBON, Portugal (AP) â¿¿ Portugal has passed the latest test of its compliance with the terms of its â¿¬78 billion ($100 billion) bailout, meaning it qualifies to get the next installment of its rescue loans.
Finance Minister Vitor Gaspar said Monday that creditors endorsed Portugal's progress on spending cuts and economic reforms.
Eurozone authorities are keen for Portugal's recovery program to stay on track and avoid creating another trouble spot in the bloc's protracted debt crisis.
But the government is under heavy pressure from opposition parties, trade unions and business leaders to change course amid signs that austerity is choking the economy.The government predicts economic contraction of 1 percent in 2013 for a third straight year of recession. The jobless rate, currently at 15.7 percent, is seen climbing to a record 16.4 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV