Consumers say they will be out in full force on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, Small Business Saturday, to support the small businesses that fuel the U.S. economy, create jobs and keep communities thriving. Of the tens of millions of Americans familiar with Small Business Saturday, 67 percent are planning to “shop small” on the day, November 24 th, 2012 (44% said they shopped at small businesses on Small Business Saturday in 2011), according to the Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey. The new research, released today by the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) and American Express, shows that of those consumers who shopped last year on Small Business Saturday, 70 percent plan to spend more or the same amount this year and will spend on average $100 on Small Business Saturday.
Thousands of small businesses around the country are planning special offers, partnering with neighboring businesses, and hosting events to support the small business shopping day. Small Business Saturday, which falls between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, was created in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: more customers.
“Small Business Saturday has become the ceremonial kick-off to the holiday shopping season for small business owners across the country,” said Susan Sobbott, president at American Express OPEN. “Small Business Saturday provides an opportunity to harness the nation’s enthusiasm for small business and celebrate their impact on local communities and the national economy.”
Additional findings from the Small Business Saturday Insights Consumer Survey include:
- The top five places that consumers plan to shop on Small Business Saturday are restaurants (52%), bakeries (35%), clothing stores (34%), gift shops (31%) and book shops (29%).
- The number one reason that consumers plan to support small businesses on November 24 th is they value the contributions small businesses make to their community (76%), while the number two reason was better customer service (59%).
- 50 percent of those planning to shop on Small Business Saturday plan to “shop small” with a friend.
- 67 percent of consumers plan to eat out at small, independently-owned restaurant on Small Business Saturday this year.
- Word-of-mouth is the top way that consumers find small, independently-owned shops and restaurants in their communities (79%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV