Speaking with The Verge, Microsoft blogger and insider Paul Thurrott (of Windows IT Pro fame) cites some of his "most trusted sources" to say that sales of Windows 8 PCs have, so far, been very disappointing.
Thurrott believes that current sales numbers are "well below Microsoft's internal projections" and that it's pointing its corporate finger at PC manufacturers. Internally at Microsoft, the blame's being placed on manufacturer's "inability to deliver" the product, he added.
We do know that Windows 8 software, at least at the very beginning, had been doing well. Microsoft bragged that more than 4 million copies of the new OS were installed in the first few days.But early reviews of new Windows RT devices have not been overwhelmingly complimentary. Then there was the abrupt departure of Windows team leader Steve Sinofsky. Add to that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's admission that early Windows 8 Phone sales haven't been so hot either. The Windows Phone operating system has been totally revamped so that it's based on the PC operating system to match everything else. Taking everything into account, this hasn't been the most auspicious of beginnings for Redmond's newly modernized ecosystem. Microsoft has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this article. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV